Sunday, March 15, 2009

It Might As Well Be Springtime

I feel like it's been awhile since my last post. Well, I've been busy. As it turns out, being a teacher is a lot of work. I may have to rethink some things. My life goals have almost always involved taking it easy, this whole hard work aspect... I dont't know about that.

Well, the weather has turned. I don't know if it's for good or just for a few days. A native Texan, I've been trained to expect no permanance from the weather. Well anyway its been in the upper 60's and yesterday up to the mid 70's. Yet everyone is still wearing jackets or even coats. On my days off I have gone with just a tshirt and I may have been the only one in the city. I went sans sports jacket yesterday but kept the sweater vest partly just to fit in with the layered populace. I should probably darn convention and go for comfort as it will soon be hot and I will yearn for days past when it was only in the 70's.

So I cleaned my kitchen. I tell you because it was reminiscent of the 12 tasks of Herakles (that's Hercules to you Romans). I don't know when this building was built but I think it's safe to say that my kitchen had never been cleaned. Not really cleaned I mean. Now as you're imagining what my kitchen could have possibly looked like keep in mind that I am, and have lived alone as, a young single male, or bachelor to use the parlance of the times. So I'm no stranger to a mess, or pigsty to use the parlance of mothers across America. That's what I did. Really cleaned. I'm talking hands and knees scrubbing the floor like a pre-fairy godmother Cinderella. I'm talking about cleaning even the surfaces that no one will ever see (perhaps the first time I've done that). And it wasn't easy. There were times when I had to run from the room screaming and hide under the covers until my nerve had returned and I was once again brave enough to go back and face the beast. Not that you could bring yourself to it psychologically, but you could, now, eat off of any surface in my kitchen.

Last week I asked a group of students if they would like to go out to dinner some night to which there response was, in effect, "Let's make dinner! At your house!" So I had a dinner party last night. And I must say it was fabulous. I may become a hostess yet.



Lastly, a special section, to a special audience, a picture of my livingroom wall.


3 comments:

  1. Looks like your dinner party was a hit, what did you serve? looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    I am so glad you are getting settled into your enviornment. This is the 1st time I've been on your blog and loved reading through the whole thing.

    We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers all the time. Keep up the good work.

    Michelle Hoover

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you got Alexa's and my pictures hanging on your living room wall.

    ReplyDelete