Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Favorite Things

I've just returned from my last American hurrah. I spent a week skiing up at my brother's in CO. Wondermous. I love being on the mountain. I could have stayed indefinitely. I may have to move up there before its all said and done. To be able to get on the mountain every day... That would be the life. That's my brother's dream, to do nothing all winter but ride, and I may have come around to that dream as well. There is skiing in China. I don't know that I'll be able to check it out though. By the time I'm adjusted enough to venture outside of my apartment and classroom, the season will be over. I caught a mini story on Chinese skiing on the resort channel while in Colorado. With the burgeoning middle class in China there is growth in the recreation industry and I guess skiing is one of the new things. The mountain was pretty tame, but I bet it would be pretty fun nonetheless. Alas skiing won't be the only thing I'll miss while I'm in China. I'm sure there will be alot of things I'll miss. Some I have been warned about, mostly food; Mexican, steak, cheesecake. And as Vincent Vega told us, its the little differences that get to you most. But I don't know what those are yet so here are some of the bigger things that I anticipate missing while I'm gone.

1. Abbey, my sweet, sweet baby girl. I believe we Americans have a unique relationship to our pets. And I've been told the Chinese hold a very different attitude towards animals. Besides being totally impractical, if I can stop short of blatant racism, Abbey will be staying in America primarily for her own safety.

B. The Ticket. It seems absurd to the uninitiated, but my fellow P1's can empathize. The Ticket is a sports/guy talk radio station in Dallas. And I listen alot. Alot. I might still be able to listen a little on the internet but it'll be a fourteen hour time difference. That'll take some getting used to.

Also. My mommy. Perhaps I'm kidding myself, but I don't think I'm a mama's boy so much as I am just lazy. I mean, why fix myself something to eat when my mom will do it if I just whine and act pathetic. Shameless.

IV. Baby Sophie. My very own niece and the first of her generation on that side of the family and I'm gonna miss it. This is obviously the biggest thing, but it's also a little abstract for me at this time. What I'm told are her pictures look to me like a Rorschach Test.


The fellas (minus Roshad behind the camera)

Big ups to Brother Roshad for the pictures.

1 comment:

  1. you should get that version of my favorite things that is at the beginning of fear and loathing and put it on your playlist. that would be tight. and baby sophie will skype you when she arrives. -katie

    ReplyDelete