Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Let Down

Until I can figure out my music situation, or give up and scrap the whole thing, I'm relegated to just telling you about the tunes. The soundtrack for this post is the reggae cover of Radiohead's 'Let Down' by the Easy Star All Stars featuring Toots and the Maytals.

I have lived in three countries in my life. One notoriously clean, one notoriously dirty, and one we'll call in the middle. In one of these countries there's a trash can every 20 yards. In public areas there are trash cans everywhere. I really liked that about this place. I never had to carry around trash for more than 5 minutes before finding a trash can to dispose of my refuse. In my current nation of residence, I can't find a trash can to save my life. Even disposing of my household garbage is a hassle. They have all manner of regulations regarding when you are allowed to dispose of certain types of garbage and even which trash cans you can put said garbage into. I have come to hate going out here because I can never find a trashcan in which I'm allowed to drop in a gum wrapper or tissue. I'm invariably stuck carrying a pocketful of trash around for hours on end until I finally find a trash can, only to discover it's only for plastic bottles or aluminum cans. And here's the kicker, this is the famously clean country. All these trash rules and regulations have in fact made me a worse litterbug. Not that I throw my trash willy nilly all over the ground, but I have been know to toss whatever I have into whatever trash can I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment